Menu Close


Home Insurance Vandalism Coverage

Home Insurance Vandalism Coverage min

When you think of vandalism, you probably think of graffiti on bridges or intentionally broken glass on public buildings. But what does it look like closer to home — and who pays for it? Standard homeowners’ policies typically cover vandalism of your house. However, it’s important to learn what to do if your home is vandalised and how to file a claim with your home insurance in Collingwood. Keep reading to learn more or reach out to Orr & Associates for a free home insurance quote!

What Is Vandalism in Insurance?

Home vandalism includes any willful property destruction. If someone damages an expensive painting, tosses eggs at your windows, or ploughs up your landscaping, that’s an act of vandalism and your home policy might cover it.

As long as you live in the home, standard homeowners’ insurance usually covers vandalism. In that case, you can file an insurance claim to repair or replace the damaged items or structures. Keep in mind that if your home sits empty for 60 days or more, your policy may not cover incidents of vandalism.

How Does Home Insurance Cover Vandalism?

Depending on the damage, vandalism is usually included under one of the following three coverage types:

  • Dwelling coverage: This coverage applies to your home or attached structure that has been vandalised.
  • Other structures coverage: Pays for repairs to detached garages, sheds, and other structures on your property vandalised by a covered peril.
  • Personal property coverage: If someone vandalises or damages a couch, barbecue, or other personal items, it will probably be covered under personal property coverage.

Take the time to meet with your home insurance broker to discuss the limits for each type of coverage on your home insurance policy. This will help you understand how much your policy will pay and what, if any, you will pay out of pocket.

Requirements for a Home Vandalism Insurance Claim

Read your policy or ask your home insurance broker to explain your vandalism coverage, including how to file a claim. For example, you may have to submit online forms, paperwork, videos or photos, appraisals, and receipts.

In some cases, you may have to make temporary repairs to secure your home or property. Find out whether you can make the necessary repairs without compromising your claim. Remember that your insurance adjuster will want to see the damage first hand.

Document the damage with photos or videos to help your insurance representatives understand the damage. It is also important to document temporary repairs with receipts, photos, and other supporting documentation.

Many insurance companies will require you to file a police report in order to make a vandalism insurance claim. Remember that this type of unauthorised intrusion on your property is a crime, and the police report will give you evidence you need to solidify your claim.

There are certain incidents that vandalism insurance does not cover. For example, if you run a business out of your home, your policy may not cover vandalised property.

Do you live on your property year-round? Check with your insurance company to understand the time frame your house can sit vacant under a vandalism policy. Typically, insurers won’t cover damage to homes left vacant for 30 to 60 days, as noted in the policy.

Types of Vandalism Covered by Home Insurance

A standard Collingwood insurance policy for home vandalism may cover the following:

  • Graffiti
  • Arson
  • Landscape damage
  • Smashing locks and windows
  • Removing signs
  • Cutting down trees

These are just a few examples, and your home insurance broker can give you a complete list covered by your policy.

Does Home Insurance Cover Tenant Vandalism?

Unfortunately, home insurance typically does not cover tenant vandalism. If you rent out the property, it is considered part of your business and, therefore, not eligible for a home insurance vandalism claim. However, there are other insurance products that will cover your rental property you can discuss with your broker.

What to Do if Your Home was Vandalised?

Here are some things you should do immediately after you realise your property has been vandalised:

  • Call 911 to report the crime. When the police arrive, give them as many details as possible, including a list of all damaged items.
  • Take pictures and videos of the vandalised items. The more evidence you gather, the stronger your claim. You can also provide photos from before the incident as a point of comparison.
  • Make temporary repairs to ensure your safety. If the vandalism includes a broken window, smashed lock, or other damage that threatens your security, make temporary repairs. Save your receipts for the insurance claim.
  • File a claim as soon as possible. Gather all the documentation you’ve collected and file the claim. Most insurance companies have mobile apps or a website to make the process easier.
  • Get estimates. You can also get estimates from local contractors.

Contact Orr & Associates today to learn more about how to include vandalism in your home insurance in Collingwood. You can reach us by phone at 1 (866) 521 5926 or fill out our online form to connect with a knowledgeable home insurance broker.