According to our car insurance brokers in Barrie, Schomberg, Brantford, and other parts of Canada, auto insurance rates tend to be higher for high-risk drivers. Read on to learn more, so you know how to avoid being tagged as one and how to save on your vehicle insurance if you are considered high-risk.
Who is a High-Risk Driver?
The individuals who have a higher chance of filing an auto insurance claim, as compared to the rest of the people driving a vehicle, are considered high-risk. Usually, it takes one or more of the following reasons to become one:
- New drivers without any driving experience
- Having more than two traffic tickets
- Having your licence suspended previously
- Holding a criminal conviction on your driving record
- Involved in an accident that was your fault
- Using your vehicle for delivery purposes
- Modifying your car with features to enhance the performance
Also, one or more of the following reasons not related to your driving could be the reason you have a high-risk driver status:
- Having missed the regular premium payments, resulting in a policy cancellation
- Lying to your insurance broker about your driving history or knowingly providing incorrect details
- Having a car with a lower safety rating or higher theft rate
How Can You Get Rid of the High-Risk Driver’s Label?
Generally, the driving tickets and missed premium payments will remain on your record for three years. Also, licence suspensions and at-fault collisions tend to follow you for six years. However, you can return to a standard auto insurance policy by taking steps towards a clean driving record.
Saving on High-Risk Insurance
The cost of a high-risk insurance policy is more than a standard car insurance policy. Here are three ways to save on your high-risk coverage:
- Hire a Reliable Insurance Broker
An excellent way for you as a high-risk driver to save on insurance costs is to work with a reliable car insurance broker. They can help you save money by comparing different car insurance quotes as per your needs and finding the most suitable option.
- Drive a Safe Car
Learn about the cars that hold a higher level of risk because they tend to increase your premium prices as compared to safer options. Also, be sure to ask about the car’s safety features before buying it and know if it is insurance-friendly.
- Adopt Safe Driving Practices
Use defensive techniques to improve your driving and be sure to follow all traffic rules and parking laws. Also, re-examine your rates every time a collision drops off your insurance history, or a ticket falls off your driving record.
Contact Our Car Insurance Brokers to Get Reliable Advice
If you are looking for professional auto insurance brokers in Barrie, we can help. Orr and Associates is a prominent name when it comes to auto insurance policies. We have a qualified team of brokers to understand your specifications and come up with the most suitable quotes by top insurers at the best prices. We place the utmost importance on customer satisfaction, which is why we offer quick and reliable services.